Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend?

I had lunch with a new friend - let's call her Jo - on Friday and she had invited me to join her and some other friends to the launch of Ryder Diamonds at the HSBC Bank building in Central Hong Kong that night. Not having ventured far from Causeway Bay (other than my Happy Valley excursion), I decided it would be in my best interest to join her, meet some new people, experience Central HK, see some diamonds and drink champagne (did I mention that it was a cocktail party too?)

We took a cab to the HSBC building and the entire time, I was worried about how the heck I was gonna get back. I figured (hoped) if I took a cab back and said "Times Square," the driver would understand me.

We got to the bank and were directed into an elevator that brought us up, up, up high over Hong Kong. Wow! I wouldn't recommend this to anyone afraid of heights, but the view was spectacular. Unfortunately, because it was nighttime and because my so-called "good Nikon" digital camera isn't very good (or maybe because I can't figure out how to use it), I couldn't get a good shot of the view (damn digital camera flash!).

I did get a shot of the diamond necklace I wanted.

It actually looked better "live"!

Jo also had the opportunity to try on this fabulous bracelet.


After a few glasses of champagne, meeting some new people, and realizing that I could not afford that necklace (heck, the Great Wall Marathon is looking to cost me more than two of those necklaces - but that is a story for another blog), I decided it was time to head back to Causeway Bay. Luckily for me, my new friend, Anny, wanted to leave too. And, Anny knows her way around Hong Kong! She steered me towards the MTR, which at that point, was just another mystery to me and something I was cautious about trying. We got myself an "Octopus" card and then Anny pointed me in the right direction, and I was off and on the train! It took me less than 10 minutes to get back to my apartment! I fell in love with the MTR and my Octopus card at that moment. 

No comments: